Hold Shift and Ctrl (PC) or Cmd (Mac) and click the mask thumbnail. This will add the new selections and the original mask selections together. Now you can fill with black or white on the mask layer. Select the new objects and apply whatever refinements you require.
How do you add a selection to a layer mask?
What you learned: Create a layer mask from a selection
- Select the Magic Wand tool in the Toolbar and check Contiguous in the Options bar.
- Click the image background to select it. To add to the selection if necessary, Shift-click in the image. …
- Choose Select > Invert, so the subject is selected instead of the background.
Can you edit a layer mask?
To easily edit and refine existing layer masks, do the following: In the Layers panel, select the layer containing the mask you want to edit. Click the Mask thumbnail in the Layers panel. Select any of the editing or painting tools.
How do I save a selection as a layer in Photoshop?
Save a selection
Make a selection using any of the selection tools or methods. To save this selection, choose Select > Save Selection. In the Save Selection dialog box, go to the Name field and give this selection a name. Click OK to close the Save Selection dialog box.
Why can’t I edit layer mask in Photoshop?
Solution #1: Make Sure the Mask Is Selected
So in order to make sure that you’re effectively using layer masks to edit your work, make sure the actual mask is selected. And you’ll know that the mask has been selected because a frame will appear around it.
How do you edit a selection in Photoshop?
Expand or contract a selection by a specific number of pixels
- Use a selection tool to make a selection.
- Choose Select > Modify > Expand or Contract.
- For Expand By or Contract By, enter a pixel value between 1 and 100, and click OK. The border is increased or decreased by the specified number of pixels.
How do you copy and paste a layer mask in Photoshop?
To move a Layer Mask from one layer to another, click-and-drag the mask to another layer. To copy a layer mask to another layer, press-and-hold Alt (Mac: Option), then click-and-drag it to any other layer.
How do you make a selection in Photoshop?
Quick Selection tool
- Select the Quick Selection tool . …
- In the options bar, click one of the selection options: New, Add To, or Subtract From. …
- To change the brush tip size, click the Brush pop-up menu in the options bar, and type in a pixel size or drag the slider. …
- Choose Quick Selection options:
How do I save a selection mask in Photoshop?
To save a Layer Mask
- Select the layer mask that you’d like to save by clicking on it.
- Go to the Channels Tab and select the layer mask.
- Copy the layer mask – Edit Menu –> Copy (Command C – Mac, Control C – Windows).
How do you use the selection tool in Photoshop?
Click and drag over an area you want to select. The tool automatically selects similar tones and stops when it finds image edges. To add to the initial selection, just click and drag over another area. The Quick Selection tool automatically changes to the Add to selection option.
How do I paste a selection into a new layer?
Select the new layer and press Command + V (Mac) or Control + V (PC) to paste the selection.
How do I move a selection to a different layer?
To select a part of your picture and move it to a new layer:
- Select the area of your image that you want to move to a new layer. You can use the Brush, Magic Wand, or Rectangular Marquee selection tool. …
- Choose Layer→New, then either Layer Via Copy or Layer Via Cut. …
- Choose File→Save.