What is Optical Margin Alignment in InDesign?
InDesign’s Optical Margin Alignment feature (located in the Story palette) allows you to choose how far punctuation is “pulled” in the margin by adjusting the point size.
How do I turn off Optical Margin Alignment?
Fortunately, you have the option to turn off Optical Margin Alignment on a paragraph by paragraph basis or in a paragraph style. To turn it off for one or more selected paragraphs, choose Ignore Optical Margin from the Control panel or Paragraph panel menu.
How do I fix justified gaps in Illustrator?
Adjust word and letterspacing in justified text
- Insert the cursor in the paragraph you want to change, or select a type object or frame to change all of its paragraphs.
- Choose Justification from the Paragraph panel menu.
- Enter values for Word Spacing, Letter Spacing, and Glyph Spacing.
How do you justify text without big space in Illustrator?
How to Justify Text in Illustrator
- Press “V” to activate the Selection tool and click a text box to apply justification to all its text. …
- Click the “Text” menu and choose “Paragraph” to open the Paragraph panel.
- Click one of the seven justification buttons at the top of the Paragraph panel.
When should you hang punctuation?
Hung punctuation is commonly used for body text, but should also be applied to headings, subheads, pull quotes – in fact, to any block of text intended to have a flush edge, whether flush left, flush right, or justified.
How do you do Roman hanging punctuation in Illustrator?
To turn on Roman hanging punctuation, open the Paragraph tool panel, and click on the arrow on the upper right of the box. A drop-down menu will appear in which you can choose “Roman Hanging Punctuation.” Keep in mind that you can turn on or off the Roman Hanging Punctuation for entire blocks of text.
How do you hang in InDesign?
One of the most sophisticated effects for text in InDesign is the ability to apply hanging punctuation to justified text.
To set optical margin adjustment:
- Select the text.
- Choose Type > Story. …
- Check Optical Margin Adjustment. …
- Enter a size for the amount of overhang.
What is a hanging comma?
Hanging punctuation or exdentation is a microtypographic technique of typesetting punctuation marks and bullet points, most commonly quotation marks and hyphens, further towards the edge so that they do not disrupt the ‘flow’ of a body of text or ‘break’ the margin of alignment.
How do you align in Illustrator?
Align or distribute relative to an artboard
- Select the objects to align or distribute.
- Using the Selection tool, Shift-click in the artboard you want to use to activate it. …
- In the Align panel or Control panel, select Align To Artboard , and then click the button for the type of alignment or distribution you want.
How do you align type in Illustrator?
Choose Type > Area Type Options . Choose an alignment option in the Align > Vertical drop-down. Alternatively, choose from the Align options in the Properties or Control panel. Top to vertically align text from the top of the frame.
Why is justified text bad?
Justifying text disrupts that even texture. Even if a page layout program is using subtle letter-spacing, or adjusting the width of the letters – these things, too, will make the texture uneven. So, justified text should really be avoided not just on the web, but whenever possible.
What will snap to point do in Illustrator?
Adobe Illustrator’s Snap to Point feature assists in aligning objects to anchor points, such as corners, when moving them . Although the option to enable this feature exists under the “View” menu of the top toolbar, this selection only toggles the feature with no way to fine tune it.